Recent News and Updates
Tau Phi Updates/News
July 10, 2021
- At this annual gathering, 60 Brothers and their guests at the Jim Evans Memorial Golf Tournament raised $1,200 for Tau Phi Delta Foundation scholarships for our fraternity’s student members.
October 25, 2021
- Previously delayed during the pandemic, the Tau Phi Delta Corporation returned with an in-person meeting. Outgoing president, Kody Unangst, conducted elections of new board of directors. Later, new officers were selected: Rich Kappel, Sean McCann, Dan Gerber and Jared Adams.
November 20 – 23, 2021
- Annual gathering of ΤΦΔ bear hunters held with three dozen Brothers camped at fraternity house with two groups organized drives in nearby state forestlands.
November 30, 2021
- Fund-raising appeal launched to raise much-needed funds to help pay for upgrading the facilities and remodeling the fraternity house in preparation for the centennial celebration.
December 6, 2021
- Annual elections of Penn State Alpha Chapter’s executive officers and committee chairs during last House meeting of the fall 2021 semester. New fraternity executives: Sean McCann, Jim McCreery, Jack Breen and Nick Hogg.
January 15, 2022
- Work session gathering of fraternity’s leadership at the biennial Tau Phi Delta Leadership Summit included officers of the Grand National Chapter, Penn State Alpha Chapter, Tau Phi Delta Corporation and Tau Phi Delta Foundation, representatives of assorted working alumni committees, and interested alumni Brothers and Little Sister alumnae. Topics included finance and budget, state of the house, renovation projects, centennial celebration and various other future topics. The meeting provided great feedback and advice for the active brothers, in addition to the alumni.
- Tau Phi Delta recruitment efforts rendered bids being distributed, seven of which were accepted.
March 15, 2022
- The return of the ΤΦΔ Outdoor Educational Series, with the “Mountain Lions In Pennsylvania and Eastern United States” presentation by fraternity alumnus and naturalist, Gene Odato.
March 26, 2022
- Brothers Matt Belia, Alex Shafley, Brandon Pacella and Tom Smith participate in the 2022 Michael Murphy Memorial Warrior Games.
April 11, 2022
- The 100th anniversary date of the official formation of our fraternity at the then-Pennsylvania State College Forestry Club on April 11, 1922.
April 23, 2022
- Tau Phi Delta Corporation’s biannual board of directors meeting with Grand National Chapter officers and Foundation trustees (10:00AM). Followed with South Seas Island Party revival and annual Blue White scrimmage football game.
July 9, 2022
- Annual Jim Evans Memorial Golf Tournament, hosted by Tau Phi Delta Foundation, to be held again (Note: A non-Arts Festival weekend) at the Skytop Mountain Golf Club in Port Matilda, PA. Shotgun tee time 9:00AM. Contact event co-chairs, Jim Cowan (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Gavin Collins (email@example.com), for more details.
September 10, 2022
- First home football game (vs. Ohio Bobcats) and pregame tailgate “gathering” to celebrate another Penn State Nittany Lion football season. Join us!
September 24, 2022
- Another home football game (vs. Central Michigan Chippewas) with one more pregame “gathering” in IM field parking lot.
October 1, 2022
- First Big Ten Conference home football game (vs. Northwestern Wildcats) and a tailgate with mountainside views of the fall foliage.
October 14-17, 2022
- Tau Phi Delta’s’ Centennial Celebration-100 Years In The Making!
Friday: Campus tours – PSU Arboretum and Forest Resources Building.
Brick oven pizza and craft beverage party at fraternity house – And
reconnecting with old friends and making ones.
Saturday: Barbeque lunch, centennial tree dedication at fraternity house and old fraternity house photo shoot. Banquet at Ramada Conference Center happy hours, fund-raising activities and history presentation.
Sunday: Brunch and keynote speaker.
Monday: Mont Alto Penn State Campus Reunion, with campus tour, alumni
reception and centennial tree dedication at campus arboretum.
October 21, 2022
- PSU homecoming parade featuring Tau Phi’s float promoting our 100th anniversary.
October 22, 2022
- Tentative: Tau Phi Delta Corporation’s biannual board of directors meeting.
- Homecoming football game (vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers) with the highly anticipated alumni tailgate celebration.
October 29, 2022
- Annual White Out home football game (vs. Ohio State Buckeyes) and a daylong tailgate outside Beaver Stadium.
November 12, 2022
- Another home football game against interstate rivals (vs. Maryland Terrapins).
November 18 – 20, 2022
- Annual gathering of ΤΦΔ bear hunters, camped at fraternity house with conducting
organized drives in nearby Rothrock and Bald Eagle State Forests.
November 26, 2022
- Last home football game (vs. Michigan State Spartans) and College of Agriculture Tailgate and Auction (Ag Arena) and, more importantly, the first day of deer hunting season.
December 5th, 2022
- Annual elections of Penn State Alpha Chapter's executive officers and committee chairs during the last House meeting of the Fall 2022 semester. New fraternity executives include: Andrew Krawczyk, Thomas Smith, Caleb Gerber, Jacob Schneider.
December 26th, 2022
The day after Christmas, while almost all the active brothers were on Winter Break of 2022 (only a few active brothers were staying there at the time of the flood), a main water pipe burst in the basement once the heat was turned back on due to the pipes being frozen. This resulted in the entire basement to be flooded, as well as around 6-8 inches of water on the main floor. This damaged the floors, some of the wood paneling, furniture, electric, etc., and as a result, the State College Borough had to shut down the house for the Spring '23 semester as repairs are to be made. Insurance is to pay for the damages. The active brothers had to find somewhere to live for the semester before the break ended, and as a result, the house was split up and lived around State College. Most of the brothers relocated to the Alpha Chi Rho Fraternity (AXP), while others either subleased apartments/ houses. Most of the brothers gather and socialize at their new "Senior House" located at 840 Old Boalsburg Road, State College. As the Spring semester continues, the active brothers of Treehouse still manage to conduct their weekly chapter meetings via Zoom and manage to socialize with the brotherhood in whatever ways they can to make the most of their semester, regardless of the unfortunate flood.
April 8, 2023 - Announcement
As previously reported, during the 2022 Christmas break the boiler shut down and a main water pipe froze at Tau Phi Delta. Substantial flooding followed, causing significant damage in the basement and on the first-floor levels of the House.
As a reminder, the fraternity house at 427 East Fairmount is currently CLOSED for repairs and renovations until the projected opening in mid-August. Do NOT attempt to access the House (including parking lot and patio) at any time, especially during the upcoming weekend of the Blue-White Football Game, as well as July’s Jim Evans Memorial Golf Tournament and the following week of the Arts Fest.
Due to this closure, the traditional spring semester Board of Directors Meeting will be held on the PSU University Park Main Campus. This important meeting is scheduled for Sunday, April 30th from 1 to 4 PM, Eastern, in the Tyson Building, Room 309 (On-campus parking is available in lots adjacent to the Tyson Building and at the nearby Eisenhower Parking Garage).
This Tau Phi Delta Leadership Summit will include:
We are always looking for any interested Tau Phi who is willing to serve. While we strongly encourage in-person participation, virtual remote access will also be available. Zoom: https://psu.zoom.us/j/96023318020
Note: The Passcode and Waiting Room are disabled, thus no need for Meeting ID and Passcode.
For more meeting details, contact Martin McGann: firstname.lastname@example.org / (814) 574-5821.
Agenda to be posted online at: www.tauphidelta.org
All Brothers are invited to attend and encouraged to participate!
Corporation Board of Directors Elections
Development Committee Flood Damage Repair/Renovation Updates.
Foundation Trustees and Grand National Chapter Future Project Reports.
Current House Phi’s Brotherhood Status Report.